AquaCarb – CX Enhanced Coconut Shell-based Activated Carbon
Siemens introduces AquaCarb CX Series coconut shell-based activated carbon, an alternative choice to coal-based carbon for removing disinfection byproducts and tastes/odors from surface waters and high performance VOC removal in groundwater sources. Siemens Water Technologies introduces the AquaCarb CX Series coconut shell-based activated carbons, an addition to the company’s Westates carbon product line for the North American market. The product can be considered as a performance alternative to coal-based activated carbon for surface water treatment, where taste and odor removal, disinfection byproduct (DBP) or DBP precursor removal, or bulk organic and total organic carbon (TOC) removal are required.
AquaCarb CX Series carbons have the high microporous structure of coconut shell-based carbon combined with the faster kinetics of bituminous coal-based carbons, resulting in excellent volatile organic carbon (VOC) removal capacity, while also working well in applications where bituminous coal-based carbons have historically been the preferred choice. Our studies have shown that AquaCarb CX Series carbons exhibit a higher adsorption capacity than coal-based carbon for surface water treatment, with greater throughput before carbon breakthrough. The result is a lower lifecycle cost for the customer, and a lower cost for complying with DBP regulations and managing taste and odor issues.
AquaCarb CX enhanced coconut shell carbons are a suitable, high performance alternative to coal based carbons in the following applications:
- Disinfection by-product (DBP) or disinfection by-product precursor removal
- Bulk organic/TOC removal from water
Each lot of AquaCarb CX carbon is identified by lot number and sampled and analyzed in accordance with Siemens Water Technologies’ QA/QC program. Siemens’ laboratories are fully equipped to provide complete quality control analysis using ASTM standard test methods in order to assure the consistent quality of all Westates carbons. Our technical staff offers hands-on guidance in selecting the most appropriate system, operating conditions and carbon to meet your needs. For more information contact your nearest Siemens representative.
Reactivated Carbon Products and Service Options
In addition to our AquaCarb CX virgin carbon, Siemens also offers options for carbon reactivation service and AquaCarb CXS enhanced reactivated coconut carbon.
Carbon reactivation is an environmentally-friendly process that minimizes waste by recycling and reusing spent carbon. Reactivation restores the surface area and pore volume of the spent carbon to a point close to that of a virgin carbon. In fact, the process of carbon reactivation is identical to the process of creating virgin activated carbon. Reactivated carbons provide a cost-effective alternative to virgin carbon and continue to provide excellent performance in many treatment applications.
Key Benefits and Features
- ANSI/NSF Standard 61 classified for use in potable water applications
- Fully conforms to physical, performance and leachability requirements established by the current ANSI/AWWA B604 (which includes the Food Chemical Codex requirements)
- Retains inherent micropore structure from base coconut carbon, providing excellent VOC adsorption capacity
- Contains superior mesopore structure, providing improved adsorption kinetics and adsorption capacity for larger molecular weight compounds
- Modified pore structure leads to longer bed life between carbon exchanges, and lower life cycle costs
- A detailed quality assurance program guarantees consistent quality from lot to lot and shipment to shipment